Sunday, July 7, 2013

Sunday Peek ~ All Things Royal

As the world awaits the royal birth of William and Kate's first born I thought today's Sunday Vintage Cabinet post should be in honor of the Royals.
I don't have a vast collection of British pieces but here are a couple of fun items;
one is vintage and the other one not-so-much.

First up, is a vintage linen tea towel of the British Monarchy.

 
Isn't it charming all snuggled up next to the mismatched silver tea set.


 It's printed with miniature portraits of the Kings and Queens of England beginning with William I in 1066, through Henry the Eighth, Elizabeth the First and ending with George VI in 1952.
 I was lucky enough to find it for just 99c at one of my favorite thrift Shoppes.
 It's faded from years of use, no doubt.

 
The details aren't as crisp as they once were so I looked and found these pictures on Etsy.
You can see all the great colors and detail.
 The portraits all have a mustard background colour and the main colour of the linen is a Royal Purple. 

 
There are golden crown motifs placed amongst the kings.
A red border frames the design.


Along the bottom border are the words "The British Monarchy"
 and "Made in Ireland".
 I thought it was interesting that it was an Irish piece.

 
I love things with a former life and history and so while the bright-colored-never-used one may be more beautiful to most people I prefer my previously-used-gently-loved one. That's not to say I'd turn down a crisp-colored vintage one like this. "On the contrary! I'd snatch that bloody towel up and make it into a pillow!" (I just said that in my best British accent, working in the slang "bloody" but bloody and towel in the same sentence sounded more CSI then British coming from an American.)

I am all about upcycling a vintage tea towel.
Love it!
(also found on Esty).
 I'm not up on my British history so the towel piqued my interest.
 I began to poke around the Internet to get some answers to my rousing questions like;
Why does the towel list Edward VIII and his brother George VI as both having ascended the throne in 1936? Did Edward be fall an ill fate the same year he became king?  -Gasp!
 

Answer is
No.
 He actually voluntarily abdicated the throne for love.
How romantic is that?!

All of a sudden the song "All 4 Love" by Color Me Badd just started playing in my mind.

"Oh, girl I think I love ya
I'm always thinkin' of ya
I want you to know I'd do it all for love"

  Ehm, where was I?
Oh yes, He had fallen in love with a married woman. And although she was divorcing her husband to marry the king this marriage would be her third and that was Scandalous  with a capital "S" in those days. It was completely unacceptable to the Church of England and to Parliament. He had to choose between his one true love and the crown of England. He made his announcement via a radio address, in which he explained his decision to renounce the throne, "I have found it impossible to carry on the heavy burden of responsibility and to discharge the duties of king, as I would wish to do, without the help and support of the woman I love."
 
I think I'd have chosen the crown myself.

I love all things British!
Especially their accents; there is something captivating about the way they speak. I think the world would be a better place if we all spoke with a British accent (or an Italian one). Love me some Italian accent. Love me some Italian period. (My husband is Italian, so I can say that.)

But I digress.
 Again.
 
And then there's the Monarchy with all of their wonderful royal titles;
 King and Queen. Prince and Princess. Duchess and Duke.
It's like a real life fairly tale. "Once upon a time. In a far off land . . ."
 
I was just 2 and 1/2 years old when Prince Charles married Diana but I can actually remember watching their wedding on television. Does that sound crazy that I can remember that far back, cause I do?
 My mother was very exciting (I was very excited)!
 It was magical.
 She had the longest dress I'd ever seen!
I wished I could marry a Prince.


Fast forward thirty years to 2011.
 Another royal wedding.
 The future heir of the throne has taken a commoner as his bride.
Every women and girl in the world, young and old, is gathered around their flat screen t.v. wishing they were lucky enough to be Catherine Middleton.
 
Which brings me to this modern day royal souvenir.
I picked it up at the same thrift shoppe but on a different trip.
 At first I only noticed the soft velvet and embroidered crown.


I had Little Lou in tow, she was 3 at the time and fast as a flash, so I was trying to keep up with her without passing up any interesting pieces that might be picked up by another shopper before I had a chance to go back. After I caught up to her and focused her attention on some children's books I was able to exam it more closely. That's when I discovered it was Will & Kate wedding memorabilia.

 
So it came home to live with me.
 
 
 
I'm on the look out for a memento commemorating Diana and Charles union,
 but I think that may be a bit harder to come by.
 
Here are a few other British goods I'd like to get my hands on:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 
Here's a tip about what will be featured in next Sunday's Post:
 
Tip #1 It's one of my favorite places on earth!
Check in Tuesday for tip #2!
 




 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment