Sunday, July 7, 2013

Vintage Finds

Vintage Finds will be a recurring theme of posts where we will look inside the cabinet my husband built for me to hold all my old treasures.
 
 
Actually he made the cabinet for himself when we were dating.
It used to house all his car collectibles.
He used two mirrors that his buddy was going to toss to the curb for the back of the cabinet.
Bought a light, some wood and black paint from the hardware store. Ordered 5 glass shelves cut to his specific measurements from a window manufacturer. And when he was done he had a great sturdy cabinet that he could proudly display his collectibles in.
I was so impressed with his skills that I married him a few months later.
 
 
I began collecting Precious Moments, as I had always admired my mother's and grand-mother's collections and wanted to start one of my own.
It's fun to have a hobby and collect things.
But as my collection grew over the years I ran out of dresser tops to put them on and with toddlers now in our house,  my hubby decided I needed a safe place to keep them from little hands. So one day he surprised me by painting the cabinet a beautiful off-white almost flesh color which went perfect with the pastels and light hues of the figurines themselves. He also made a door with plexi-glass to keep them dust free.
 
A couple of years ago I decided to start filling it with little bits and baubles.
Today it's nearly full!
Although I do manage to squeeze a little more in here and there.
It houses everything from the pillow I hand-stitched for our ring bearer to carry on our wedding day to some unknown persons letter for their letterman jacket that was being thrown out. Literally rescued it from some boxes in a driveway the day after a garage sale wrapped in Arcadia (which is an area know for it's antiques).
Each shelf is its own vignette.
Each piece has a story.
No matter how big or how small.
 
 
Items come from everywhere...
some are from the attic memory boxes,
 garage sale finds,
 estate sale purchases,
most come from antique and thrift stores
and a few were given to us as gifts.
 
Each piece is special, treasured and loved.
 
Hope you will check back periodically to see what I have found.

No comments:

Post a Comment