Sunday, August 4, 2013

Whole Brain Teaching #2 Class-Yes

Whole Brain Teaching has enhanced the way I approach teaching.
Last year I used just the Five Rules.
 You can go here to read about it. 
This year I intend to use more elements, such as the Class-Yes, the Scoreboard, Mirror, Teach-OK, Hands and Eyes . . .
All of it!
I want to do it ALL because I can see all the great benefits each will have in my classroom.

The Class-Yes is considered Step 1
 and the Five Rules are considered Step 2.
The reason I started with the Five Rules first was because I was searching the Internet trying to figure out what I wanted for my classroom rules and how I was going to present them.
Through my search I came across Whole Brain Teaching and Chris Biffle's videos.
I was intrigued to say the least.
I am not only a teacher but a life-long learner;
I would love to learn from educators and professors that use this method of teaching.


The Class-Yes is a WONDERFUL attention-getter.
I can see myself using it A LOT in my classroom.
It's simple and it's a powerful management method.
This is how it works; every time the teacher says "Class"
 the students respond with "Yes". 
Whatever way the teacher says it that's the way the students must respond.
If the teacher says it it a long drawn out low voice "Cl-a-ss"
 then the response is "Y-e-s".
Or if the teacher says it twice in a high pitch voice "Class Class" 
then the response is a high "Yes Yes".
It's fun!
It's engaging!
It works with all ages!
Since I teach First Grade this is how I think it could play out in an elementary classroom. 
Here are two scenarios. 
I think you'll agree it has its advantages.

Elementary Classroom:

Teacher: "Have a seat."  . . .

 "Let me have your attention up here." . . .

 "Sit in your chair." . . .

"I'm waiting on              to put that away and look up here." . . .

"Okay, today we are going to learn about  . . ."



(Teacher is now slightly aggravated and has lost about six minutes of instructional time.)

Same Elementary Classroom using the Class-Yes:

Teacher: "Class!"

Students: "Yes!"

Teacher: "Classity Class!"

Student: "Yesity Yes!"

Teacher: "Today we are going to learn about . . ."

(Students are engaged and waiting to hear what the teacher will say next.)


Getting and keeping your students engaged is the obstacle we deal with on a daily basis. 


Our school meets together for Chapel every Wednesday and it can be hard to get 100+ students to "listen up".
With my success of Class-Yes in my classroom I hope to be able to suggest the power of the Class-Yes to our principal for Chapel.


Whether your a new teacher or a seasoned teacher the Class-Yes could alleviate a lot of aggravation.
I think seasoned teachers might actually gain more benefit,
 especially if you are starting to feel a little burnt out.
It's time to liven it up!
Power Teaching may be just what you need to rekindle your love of teaching.
Start here with the video below.

I love this video that Chris Biffle made because he tells you that it's never to late in the year to start. Even if it's the middle of the school year you can begin the Class-Yes. The way he says to present it; as if you had planned on starting it Today is absolutely critical to its success in your classroom.

I wish you all "Much success this school year!"


Update: Teachers returned last Thursday, so I will be creating lesson plans instead of blog posts. I still intend to post, they may just come farther and fewer between.

1 comment:

  1. Water Hack Burns 2lb of Fat OVERNIGHT

    At least 160,000 women and men are losing weight with a easy and SECRET "liquid hack" to drop 2 lbs each night while they sleep.

    It is simple and works every time.

    You can do it yourself by following these easy steps:

    1) Grab a glass and fill it up with water half glass

    2) Now do this crazy HACK

    and you'll be 2 lbs skinnier the very next day!

    ReplyDelete