Sunday, July 28, 2013

Let's Spoon Shall We

I'm talking about spooning more sugar into your tea.
Geesh!

Well I found the cutest little spoon stand at an estate shoppe in town called Lolly's Estate R Us about a year or so ago.
While I'll Never put the names out there for my fave thrift shoppes because I don't want locals to beat me to the goods as they have limited stock I will occasionally drop  names of antique and estate shops because they can be pricey and usually have a surplus of items.
Lolly's is Packed and I mean Packed with items so go look around.
 There's plenty of deals for you and I.

I can't remember what I paid for her.
Safe guess would be $8
She's a cute little gal,
 but I'm a thrifty gal so I know it wasn't much.


She is absolutely unique and precious with her little prayer apron.
It reads:
The Kitchen Prayer
Lord of all pots and
 pans and things,
 since I've not time to be
 A saint by doing lovely things
or watching late with Thee
Or dreaming in the dawn light
or storming heaven's gates
Make me a saint by yelling meals
and washing up the plates.
Amen

I know!
Not the greatest poetry.


I am not a "spoon collector"
or should I say never intended to be
(I do have quite a little collection going here).
I can easily pass on a spoon that has no sentimental value.
You see this gal only has room to hold four so the day I bought her I also bought 4 spoons.
But along the way 2 more have snuck in so they have to be displayed elsewhere.



For instance there's no room on the stand for this little guy here.
No, not the little guy in the picture.
That's my hubby's immigration picture when he arrived in America at the ripe old age of 6.
He was the same age as my students and he didn't speak a word of English.
 Bless his heart.
So Cute!! I Know!!
He looks like a little immigrant, doesn't he?
I Love this picture of him!


It's on a shelf in my kitchen next to an old mason jar full of pieces of brick that I collected at a little beach in Punta Gorda.
The pieces of brick wash up there from time to time. 
They are (I believe) from the old Barron Collier bridge that was collapsed to make an artificial reef in Charlotte Harbor.
If you are a nerd like me you can go here to read more about the local bridges history.
My husband was a brick layer in Michigan for 15 years,
 thus the reason the jar of bricks sits on the shelf too.



I would love to know how old this spoon is.
The enamel picture of the country, flag colors and wording ITALIA  looks very old.
There is no markings or wording on the back side.
I purchased it for $5 (I think) at Lolly's Estates R Us.



I picked up this spoon which represents the great state of Michigan for a buck at an outside Antique Fair in Arcadia. It was in rougher condition than one I had seen earlier that day for $5, so I swiped her up.

It has the wording Michigan and a deer in enamel at the top.
The white-tailed deer is the official game animal of the state.

Below that is a dangle of the Mackinac Bridge.
This enormous bridge connects the Lower Peninsula from the Upper Peninsula
 (or the U. P. as Michiganders refer to it).
Again the nerd in you can read more about the third longest suspension bridge in the world right here

On the bowl part of the spoon there is a map of Michigan with the word MICHIGAN above it. 
Mackinac bridge is connecting the two peninsulas with the words Mackinac Bridge next to it.
Lake Michigan on the left and Lake Huron on the right.
A car and the words Auto Industry below it.
Forestry and a game animal with the word Hunting above it.
A fly fisherman  with the word Fishing below it.
The word Lansing with a picture of the Capitol's building.
And summing it all up at the bottom it says Winter Wonderland.

There is nothing on the back side.


I put this little guy in front for the picture . . .


but he just usually lays on the shelf at her feet.



For just 50c at a local church's small thrift shoppe.

I was thrilled when I picked it up to see a familiar place,
Greenfield Village in Dearborn Mich.
Dear to my heart as our two oldest children LOVED Thomas the Tank Engine and we took them to see him there twice when we lived in Michigan briefly (2 years).

Dreams come true.



Greenfield Village is where President Lincoln's chair that he was shot in is on display
 (with his blood stain still on it).
The bus that Rosa Parks refused to go to the back on is there and SOOOO much more.
Go here to check it out!

The Greenfield Village spoon is much smaller than the other spoons,
as you can see. 
It has the words Greenfield Village above a Model -T, a train, and a building.
 All of which make it famous.
It's almost impossible to see it all in one day when you visit.
And the words Dearborn, Mich. below the picture. 
 It is not enamel but instead looks like a print covered in epoxy.
The bowl has an etched map of Michigan with the words MICHIGAN, Lake Michigan, Lansing, Grand Rapids, and Detroit. 



Another spoon with some memories tied to it is this Kennedy Space Center spoon.
I bought it for $5? at Lolly's Estates R Us

You see, Mr. Spouse and I took the kids to see the final shuttle launch on July 8, 2011.


 It was AMAZING!
We were there to witness history!




Of course this picture below is more accurate of our view of history in the making.


Millions of people gathered!
We did Not go on this bridge I was afraid it would collapse. We had a Great view in someone's backyard. While others were charging $20 to watch from their yard we were kindly invited into someone's backyard for Free.



The moment of lift off was Amazing!
Sorry I can't think of a better word, but Amazing is what it was!
The thrill of witnessing the final launch . . .
Knowing that at any moment before "Blast Off' it could be delayed . . .
having Never been RIGHT THERE to watch ! ! !

We watched  and cheered it onward and upward til it was out of sight!
"Go!
 Keep Going! 
Keep Going!
 Yeah!
 (whistle) 
Go!
 Go! 
Go!"

I had witnessed the Challenger explosion when I was in the First Grade, live from the classroom window as we were only a few hours south of Cape Canaveral on the East Coast of Florida.
 The memory haunted me as I anxiously began to cry tears of happiness for this crew and this mission.
"Go Baby, Go!"


The backside of this spoon has  the words
Made by Perfection Plate P/L,
 Australia, 
Silverplated
and Galaxy.
 It also has a Fleur De Leaf above the bowl.


And last but certainly Not the least are two of my faves that I got that day at Lolly's.
Both have the same Coat of Arms and the word LONDON engrave on the bowl.
The heads on the stems are different though.
This one has the London Bridge.
(with its draw bridges up)



The second one has a carriage, representing the carriage used by the Royals.



On the back of both are the initials W.A.P.W.
The words Gt. Britain and silver plated.
Again I think I paid $5 a piece at Lolly's Estates R Us.

I will keep my eye out for more over the years and let you know what others I find.
How about you, do you have a spoon or two to share?


Tip for next week:
School's back in session so you might need these.
(Teacher's are back in class at my school in one week! EEK!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment