Sunday, July 21, 2013

Web Star


I could have titled this post "Tea Time II".
But alas I settled on "Web - Star"
 after discovering these two beauties at a Salvation Army for just $8 a piece.

 A Steal!
 
 
The marking on their bottoms really caught my attention.
They have a spider web, a star and the letter "W" on them.
They also have the words QUADRUPLE PLATE and the number 677 on both of them
(more on that in a minute).
 

Initially I noticed their beauty and weight.
They were much heavier than the other cheapy mismatched creamers and sugar bowls sitting on the same shelf.
And having the same curious markings with exactly the same production number on them I knew they were a pair.

I figured I was on to something, so home with me they went.
But not before I snatched up this tea pot for just $10.
After all, I was actually in the market for a vintage tea pot,
 as "Oh-yea-right" as that sounds I really was.
 You see I had been stocking stumbled across a blog with a beautiful vintage tea pot sitting on some books in a bookcase with a dingy piece of ribbon tied around its handle.
 Love at first sight!
Notice I took a piece of white seam binding ribbon and stained it with coffee from the mornings leftover coffee.
I know "leftover coffee" sounds like a sin.
 
And this serving plate for $3 came home with me, too.
 
 
As soon as I got home I jumped on my laptop to begin my search.
 First up was the heavily weighted duo with their peculiar mark.
And this is what I found:

Sugar Bowl & Creamer

QUADRUPLE PLATE aka "quadruple silverplate":
Quadruple silverplated pieces are NOT plated four times.
And they do NOT have four times the pure silver (known as .925).
 Bummer!
A common misconception is that silver plate is an inferior product.
 It may never have the same silver content as sterling,
 but dealers and silversmiths say these pieces were made of high-quality silver.
Tiffany made silver plated.
 So it must be good!

So what does quadruple plate mean?
It means that it is some of the highest quality holloware made in the later part of the 19th century!
If items are simply marked Standard silverplate it indicates that if 2 troy ounces of pure silver were used for an item, than Quadruple silverplate used 8 troy ounces of pure silver (4x the standard).
So naturally they are also four times as heavy.
 Nice!
 

By 1850's many metal craftsman changed from crafting wares of pewter,
 "poor man's silver" to electroplated silver.
 This occurred during the height of the Victorian Era,
 so many pieces are elaborate  in design and the details of their embellishments and intricate engraved decorations are unparalleled by both the former pewter pieces or the pieces of today.
Unfortunately, many of these Victorian electroplated quadruple silver pieces have become damaged beyond repair, destroyed, or "gasp"---tossed out!
  The scarcity of these pieces makes them valuable to collectors who are quickly purchasing them and keeping them for themselves.
 Fewer and fewer fine pieces are available on the open market!

Score!!


Spider Web - Star - "W" Hallmark:

 
My search finally yielded these results.
 I discovered the hallmark was from E.G. Webster & Son out of New York and Brooklyn.
Founded in 1860 by Elizur G. Webster.
Formed E.G. Webster & Brothers in 1865.
Incorporated in1867 as Webster Manufacturing Co.
Sold to the International Silver Co. in 1928.

Hallmarks vary on Webster items as they were produced through out the years.
Subsequently that did not help me narrow down the exact time frame.
There is just such little information on the world wide web regarding it.
 Believe me I searched!!!
I like the play on words with this particular hallmark,
 regarding Elizur's last name.

At the end of the day,
 I think it's safe to say that they were electroplated sometime between 1860 & 1900.
And I am very happy to be their owner.
I think they have a wonderful patina, which I never intend to polish away.
 
 

Tea Pot Coffee Pot
 

Silver on Copper:
This is pretty straight forward.


Crown over X - H.S. - Dragon Hallmarks:
Hartford Sterling Company - Philadelphia, PA.
Succeeded to Tennant Co., New York
Active 1900/1935 c.

Again there were many hallmarks used by this manufacturer.
And even less information about it.

It's safe to say this little charmer came from the turn of the century.
  

Serving Tray

No indication of what its plating is:
It's incredibly heavy and very beautiful!
The pictures don't do it justice!
 


Wilcox - I S -Brandon Hall:
The International Silver Company was organized under the laws of the State of New Jersey on November 19, 1898. Within that first year the company bought the total capital stock of seventeen Companies. Immediately upon organization the company bought 12 other companies.
Wilcox Silver Plate in the city of Meriden, Connecticut was one of those initial 12.
Within the first 6 months another 4 companies were purchased.
By the early 1900s it had become a large corporation.
Its operations centered there in Meriden, would prove to be the major producer of silver products in America.
 
I found MANY of these serving trays listed on Ebay.
A one of a kind he is not . . .
except that the middle of the tray is personalized with a fancy Calligraphy letter.



At first I was thinking the letter "I".
  But there are not many last names that begin with that letter.
 So then I started thinking the letter "F" or "L".
 More common.
I was still uncertain so I began yet another search.
And I came across these Old English Calligraphy letters.

It's the letter "L", no?

Next Sunday's post is already in the works.
Here is tip #1

It is (they are) used with tea



9 comments:

  1. SilverGoldBull is your trusted precious metals dealer. They will provide you with bargain, up-to-minute rates and guarantee your bullion arrives to your door discreetly and fully insured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the Webster info! I have a copper creamer with that mark on the bottom (minus the "quadruple plate"). The copper seems to be plated onto some kind of white metal. Maybe tin...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello ~
    I appreciate what you’ve shared! Because I just found a 14” heavy round silver-plated platter at my patent’s lil’ log cabin in the woods while my husband & I spent the weekend. It has the same spider-web marking w/a “W” in its center along w/the #714. In the middle of the platter, I feel that it may be the combinations of 2 letters (G & S) & happen to be my grandmother’s maiden initials (Gudrun Solheim) originally from Norway but am not sure! If you’re interested or have the time, I’d be more than appreciative to send some pictures to you? Maybe you could shed some more light as to where this platter originated? I too, am a wife, mother, grandmother & teacher & truly love learning! Thank you ahead of time for your response! Sincerely, Theresa~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a tea pot that looks almost exact. It has a flat bottom. the markings are the same but has the number 1510 G. My research has led me to Britannia Silver in England. but I have the same makers mark H.S.. I'm trying to find out more. Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I have an E.G. Webster creamer with the same spiderweb and makers mark. It is Victorian and has an etched Ivy pattern #145 and sits flat so is not footed. Do you know if the numbers indicate the year it was made?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all the info on E. G. WEbster. I found a 'quadruple plate' creamer with the Webster mark. Thans for doing all the work and sharing the info!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have two pieces with the same make. Mine I believe are a sugar and creamer set.
    Looks just like yours, only mind both sit 9n their own stand with is permanently connected to each piece. The funny thing to is, both my pieces also have the same fancy letter engraved on each of them.. I'm not sure either weather it's an F or L or I ..?
    Anyhow, I'm still trying to find out more info too.. if you find anything please send it my way, thanks, Steve

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a oblong basket? with a solid handle spider web mark but does not say anything other than the number 415, do you know where I can find out more info?

    ReplyDelete